EnergyOnline
Services

RSS FEED

EnergyOnline.com rss

News

NRC Issues Subsequent License Renewals for First Time to Nuclear Reactors in Florida

LCG, December 11, 2019--The Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) staff recently approved Florida Power & Light's (FPL's) application for an additional 20 years of operation for Turkey Point Nuclear Generating Units 3 and 4. This is the first time the NRC has issued renewed licenses authorizing reactor operation from 60 to 80 years. The subsequent (or second) license renewals (SLRs) for Turkey Point Unit 3 and Unit 4 now expire on July 19, 2052 and April 10, 2053, respectively.

Read more

New York Poised to Close Last Coal-fire Power Plant

LCG, December 4, 2019--The last operating coal-fired power plant in New York is moving toward closure shortly. Last month, Somerset Operating Company, a subsidiary of Riesling Power LLC, submitted a request to the New York State Public Service Commission (NYSPSC) to waive the state's required, 180-day notice to close the Somerset Station, allowing the facility to be retired on February 15, 2020. Closure is contingent on approvals by both NYSPSC and the New York Independent System Operator (NYISO), which will evaluate if it will cause an adverse effect on grid reliability.

Read more

Industry News

PG&E Files Agreements for 107 MW of Solar-Biofuel Hybrid Power

LCG, June 13, 2008--Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) has executed two, 20-year power purchase agreements (PPA's) with San Joaquin Solar LLC, a subsidiary of Martifer Renewables Electricity LLC, for a total of 107 MW of renewable power that will be generated by a solar-biofuel hybrid system. PG&E filed the agreements yesterday with the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC). The project is scheduled to commence operations in 2011.

The solar-biofuel hybrid system incorporates Luz solar thermal trough technology and biomass fuel to generate steam that is used in a steam turbine to generate electricity. By using biomass fuel, the plant is not solely dependent upon solar energy and can generally produce power 24 hours per day throughout the year. Each solar-biofuel hybrid project will use about 250,000 tons of biomass per year. The biomass used will include agricultural wastes, green wastes and livestock manure.

The plant will consist of two units and will be located in California's Central Valley near Coalinga. Martifer will own 80 percent of the plant, and Clean Energy Ventures will own the remaining 20 percent.

California passed a Renewable Portfolio Standard (RPS) Program that requires utilities to increase their electric supply procurement of eligible renewable generating resources by one percent of load per year, with a 20 percent renewables target by the end of 2010 and a 33 percent target by the end of 2020. PG&E has made contractual commitments to have over 20 percent of its future deliveries supplied by renewable facilities. This year PG&E estimates that 14 percent of its electricity will be delivered from renewable sources.
Copyright © 2019 LCG Consulting. All rights reserved. Terms and Copyright
Generator X
Generation and Transmission Planning and Optimization
UPLAN-NPM
The Locational Marginal Price Model (LMP) Network Power Model
UPLAN-ACE
Day Ahead and Real Time Market Simulation
PowerMax
Day-ahead and real-time portfolio revenue optimization
UPLAN-G
The Gas Procurement and Competitive Analysis System
PLATO
Database of Plants, Loads, Assets, Transmission...
MarketWatch
Annual summary of prices, congestion and important events in ERCOT
CAISO CRR Auctions
Monthly Price and Congestion Forecasting Service