EnergyOnline
Services

RSS FEED

EnergyOnline.com rss

News

Avangrid and Puget Sound Energy Sign PPA, Including Upgrade and Life Extension, for Washington Wind Project

LCG, May 19, 2026--Avangrid, Inc., a member of the Iberdrola Group, today announced the signing of a long-term Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) with Puget Sound Energy (PSE) for the 199.5-MW Big Horn I wind project in Klickitat County, Washington. This agreement represents the fourth PPA executed by the two companies for projects in the Pacific Northwest.

Read more

DOE Acts to Ensure Key Coal-fired Power Plants Are Available in MISO to Supply Peak Summer Demands

LCG, May 18, 2026--The U.S. Secretary of Energy today issued an emergency order to address critical grid reliability issues in the Midwest anticipated this summer. The order is in effect beginning on May 19, 2026, through August 16, 2026. The emergency order directs the Midcontinent Independent System Operator (MISO), in coordination with Consumers Energy, to ensure that the J.H. Campbell coal-fired power plant (Campbell Plant) in West Olive, Michigan shall take all steps necessary to remain available to operate and to minimize costs for the region.

Read more

Industry News

Brazilians Say Power Rationing Mishandled

LCG, June 5, 2001Seemingly everyone in the Brazilian electric power chain, from the smallest residential customer to the largest utility, agrees that the government has mishandled the country's power crisis.

Brazil's government instituted power rationing on Friday to cope with a worsening supply problem caused by the country's worst drought in 30 years. The country depends on its hydroelectric facilities for about 90 percent of its electricity. The objective of the program is to cut power usage by 20 percent over the next six months.

The government put together its rationing program in a hurry, and utilities got out the details to their customers with equal dispatch. The result has been confusion and complaints and even government changes in the program.

President Fernando Henrique Cardoso went on television yesterday to announce that surcharges of up to 200 percent will be dropped for customers who reduce consumption by the 20 percent sought. Also, quotas for residential consumption have been revised in just the four days of the program.

One residential customer with a household of two had received notice that his quota was 30 kilowatt-hours per month and had been told his power would be cut off if he exceeded that amount. He finally was told that the quota was in error, and that all quotas below 100 megawatt-hours should be ignored.

The power companies aren't any happier, saying the government waited until the last moment to set out the details of the plan. A spokesman for a distribution utilities association said "there is too much confusion to say anything."

Copyright © 2026 LCG Consulting. All rights reserved. Terms and Copyright
UPLAN-NPM
The Locational Marginal Price Model (LMP) Network Power Model
Uniform Storage Model
A Battery Simulation Model
UPLAN-ACE
Day Ahead and Real Time Market Simulation
UPLAN-G
The Gas Procurement and Competitive Analysis System
PLATO
Database of Plants, Loads, Assets, Transmission...
CAISO CRR Auctions
Monthly Price and Congestion Forecasting Service